Friday, July 26, 2013

Ginger Cashew and Cauliflower



I adore stir-fry!!! They are super simple and quick.  I looked the my refrigerator to see what I had on hand.  I found the ginger and did not want to go to waste so I decided to try a take on one of my favorite dishes, cashew chicken.  I'm determined to reduce my salt intake but I felt some extra seasoning was necessary. Instead of rice I used red quinoa, which in turn made this a low-carb dish compared to the inspiration. Score!!

The ingredients

  • 1 cup unsalted cashews halves
  • 1 medium head of cauliflower (use the colorful one while they are in season. Imagine this dish w/ the orange!)
  • 1 chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons ginger (Adjust to your taste but I like it spicy)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons scallions (for garnish)
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
Cook quinoa according to package directions. The next steps can be completed while the quinoa cooks.

In wok, heat the sesame oil on medium heat. Once the oil is heated add the garlic and ginger and saute for 2 minutes, be careful not to burn the ginger. Add the cauliflower, bell pepper, soy sauce and cumin and saute for an additional 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the cashews and and saute just enough to warm.  

Spoon 1/2 cup of cashew mixture over  1/2 cup of quinoa. Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon chives. Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment